Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thing 5

I wanted to start this blog post by saying that I love the social networking in plain English video. I sent a link to it on to my mom, because she might actually be able to understand social networking after that video.

I think LinkedIn sounds like a great resource for a lot of things. Finding a job or a speaker, would be a lot easier through LinkedIn. I do think the education field is under-represented on it, and that may actually prove to make it not as valuable of a resource as it could be. Since the more people in a field and in your network increases your odds of finding what you are looking for on LinkedIn, an educator is probably at more of a disadvantage than an engineering firm or an advertising executive. That said, I think there is a lot of potential on LinkedIn.

The only other social networking site I regularly use is Facebook. Facebook is much more of a personal site, finding old college roommates and high school friends. While this is fun, it rarely helps you meet any need professionally. Whereas, LinkedIn is a professional site. Helping people network their skills and livelihoods to make connections and meed professional needs.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about LinkedIn. Most of the people I know who use it are in the engineering field. They seem to love it.

    ReplyDelete