Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thing 8

I started to make a Pageflakes page, simply because I liked the name better than NetVibes, but I was disapointed to see the big ad permanently placed on the top right of the page. You can't move it; you can't delete it. Then, I checked out Netvibes. I really liked the ability to create a customized page. However, currently I use Firefox and I love the Bookmark toolbar where I can put lots of my most frequently used bookmarks. I started to reorganize this to be on my start page, so I can go there and get to all the other sites I regularly visit. It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end. I needed to organize everything anyways.

One feature that I really liked was the ability to make different tabs, so I can keep professional links in one place, or hobbies in another. It makes it easier to keep the information organized in an easy to read manner. Plus, it's so easy to move things around, from tab to tab, or around on the page you are working on. I love it!

I think this could be very useful for students. Especially with the capability of creating different tabs. The students could be asked to set up a school tab, where they can check on their teacher's blog or a news site for current events. It would help the student quickly access all kinds of information without wasting time and having to type in URLs all the time.

Pageflakes and Netvibes are different from Google Reader because they allow you to keep tabs on more things, not just blogs and RSS feeds, but your email, facebook, weather, and other sites.

2 comments:

  1. I have been using Netvibes for a couple of years. I love it. I too have different tabs for different topics. And Netvibes lets people make public tabs. Teachers could also share a tab they make with their students. Although I like the idea of students making their own tabs a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad to read that you tried Pageflakes then moved to Netvibes. I started a Netvibes page a couple of years ago and did not even consder trying Pageflakes. I thought I might be missing something, but the description of your venture makes me feel more secure with my choice.

    ReplyDelete